MINUTES OF THE Local Planning Panel HELD IN PHIVE 2 CIVIC PLACE PARRAMATTA AT 5 PARRAMATTA SQUARE ON Tuesday, 21 March 2023 AT 3:30pm
Julie Walsh (Chairperson), Paul Berkemeier, David Johnson and Kirrily McDermott.
1. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT TO TRADITIONAL OWNERS OF LAND
The Chairperson, acknowledged the Burramattagal people of The Darug Nation as the traditional land owners of land in Parramatta and paid respect to their ancient culture and to their elders past, present and emerging.
2. WEBCASTING ANNOUNCEMENT
The Chairperson advised that this public meeting is being recorded. The recording will be archived and made available on Council’s website.
There were no apologies made to this Local Planning Panel.
4. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest made to this Local Planning Panel.
5. Reports - Development Applications
SUBJECT PUBLIC MEETING: 21-23 Norfolk Road, EPPING (Lot 4 DP 8487, Lot A DP 371706)
DESCRIPTION Section 4.56 modification of DA/745/2018 for Site consolidation,
partial demolition and alterations and additions to existing structures, tree
removal and construction of a 53 place childcare centre with basement car
parking containing 14 car parking spaces (including 6 visitor spaces and 8
staff spaces) and 1 motorcycle space, associated business identification
signage and proposed hours of operation from 7:00am to 6:00pm, Monday to
REFERENCE DA/745/2018/A - D08883254
APPLICANT/S Mr J Apostolou
OWNERS Mr N S Guo and Mrs X F Huang
REPORT OF Group Manager Development & Traffic Services
The Panel considered the matter listed at Item 5.1 and attachments to Item 5.1.
1. Jonathan Wood Town Planner from Think Planners spoke to the Panel speaking against the report recommendation to refuse the development application and answered questions from the Panel.
2. Matthew McCarthy Traffic Engineer spoke to the Panel speaking against the report recommendation to refuse the development application and answered questions from the Panel.
(a) That the Parramatta Local Planning Panel, exercising the function of the consent authority, refuse the requested modification to DA/745/2018/A to intensify the approved childcare centre by increasing children numbers from 53 to 82 and parking spaces from 14 to 23.
(b) Further, that submitters are advised of the decision.
REASONS FOR REFUSAL
1. The modified proposal is not substantially the same development as the development originally approved.
2. The modified proposal will exacerbate the existing unsafe and congested traffic and parking situation in the vicinity of the site. This is inconsistent with Part 2 - Principle 7 – Safety and Part 3.8 Traffic and Parking of the Child Care Planning Guidelines 2021 (“the Guidelines”) made under Chapter 3 Educational Establishments and Childcare Facilities of SEPP (Transport and Infrastructure) 2021 (“the SEPP”).
3. The modified proposal will have adverse visual, landscaping and acoustic impacts inconsistent with Principle 6 - Amenity of Part 2 and Part 3.1 – Site Selection and Location of the Guidelines.
4. The modified proposal is inconsistent with Principle 3 -Adaptive Learning Spaces of Part 2 of the Guidelines.
5. The modified proposal will have an adverse impact on the heritage conservation area contrary to clause 5.10 of Hornsby LEP 2013 (“the LEP”).
6. The modified proposal will have an adverse impact on the streetscape which is inconsistent with Part 3.2-Local Character and Streetscape and 3.4 – Landscaping of the Guidelines.
7. Insufficient information has been provided to enable an adequate assessment to be made of the impacts of the modified proposal in terms of flooding noting that the site is flood prone – clause 5.21 of the LEP and Part 3.1 – Site Selection and Location of the Guidelines.
8. The modified proposal is not in the public interest.
The Panel decision was UNANIMOUS.
The meeting terminated at 4:09 pm.