NOTICE OF Council MEETING
SUPPLEMENTARY PUBLIC AGENDA
An Ordinary Meeting of City of Parramatta Council will be held remotely via audio-visual link on Tuesday, 14 April 2020 at 6.30pm.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
THIS PAGE LEFT BLANK INTENTIONALLY
TABLE OF CONTENTS
9 Minutes of the Lord Mayor
9.1 Condolence Motion for Terry Barnes.......................... 4
ITEM NUMBER 9.1
SUBJECT Condolence Motion for Terry Barnes
REFERENCE F2019/03630 - D07357471
REPORT OF Lord Mayor, Councillor Bob Dwyer
The purpose of this Lord Mayor Minute is to recognise the passing of Terry Barnes, and show our respects for his contributions to the City of Parramatta.
(a) That Council acknowledge the passing of Mr Terry Barnes, who served as General Manager of Parramatta City Council from 1999-2003; and
(b) Further, that Council pass on our condolences to his family, as a gesture of respect on his passing and in recognition of his contributions and service to the City of Parramatta.
1. Mr Terry Barnes, General Manager of the former Parramatta City Council from 1999 – 2003, passed away on Saturday 4 April 2020, at the age of 71.
2. Regarded as a dedicated and great leader, Mr Barnes served six local government communities over his 37-years of excellent local government service, including holding the position of General Manager at Bingara, Scone, Fairfield and Parramatta City Councils.
3. Mr Barnes was also a passionate advocate within the industry, contributing to the Institute of Municipal Management (now Local Government Professionals Australia) at both State and Federal levels, including serving as both State and National President.
4. Commencing his duties as General Manager of Parramatta City Council on 6 September 1999, Mr Barnes, together with the Council, was instrumental in implementing a more outcomes focussed organisation and setting a new blueprint for the future of Parramatta.
5. Throughout his tenure, he remained dedicated to delivering excellent services and projects to the community, with a focus on the:
a. Introduction of Place Management planning, together with a roll-out of improvements to neighbourhood centres;
b. Commencement of upgrades at Granville and Parramatta Pools;
c. Refurbishment of Granville and Parramatta Town Halls; and
d. Revitalisation of failing infrastructure of roads and drainage.
6. Mr Barnes was also a major contributor to the early work and implementation of the Civic Place Masterplan, now Parramatta Square.
7. Following his departure from Parramatta City Council on Friday 30 May 2003, Mr Barnes went on to serve as Director-General of the NSW Department of Housing.
8. In his time at the NSW Department of Housing, he introduced a Strategic Plan that set the future course for the Department, including a new approach for maintaining and funding assets.
9. Mr Barnes also introduced the Bonnyrigg Living Communities project, the first social housing Public Private Partnership (PPP) project in Australia which was designed to enact large-scale social, urban and economic change, and the redevelopment of Minto.
10. Council offers its condolences to Mr Terry Barnes’ family and friends, and the Chamber recognises his tenacity, dedication and service to not only Parramatta but also communities throughout NSW.
FINANCIAL IMPLICATION FOR COUNCIL
11. There are no new financial implications for Council as a result of this Lord Mayor Minute.
Lord Mayor, Councillor Bob Dwyer
There are no attachments for this report.