Item 11.3 - Attachment 1

Access Advisory Commitee Minutes 19 June 2012

 

MINUTES OF THE ACCESS ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING HELD IN MEETING ROOMS 1 & 2, GROUND FLOOR, COUNCIL CHAMBER BUILDING, CIVIC PLACE, PARRAMATTA ON TUESDAY, 19 JUNE 2012, COMMENCING AT 5.36PM.

 

PRESENT

 

Mr John Moxon in the Chair, Joe Dimech, Jim Grainda, Deborah Manuel, Hamish Murray, and Duy Quang Nguyen

 

IN ATTENDANCE

 

Tanya Owen Community Capacity Building Officer, Beth Collins Community Services Team Leader, Joy Bramham Minute Clerk

 

1.0 WELCOME

 

John Moxon welcomed everyone to the Access Committee.

 

2.0 ACKOWLEDGEMENT OF TRADITIONAL OWNERS

 

John Moxon acknowledged the Burramattagal Clan of The Darug, the traditional land owners of Parramatta and paid respect to the elders both past and present.

 

3.0 APOLOGIES

 

Leonie Clarke tendered apologies.

 

4.0 CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATION

 

There were no declarations made regarding conflict of interest at this meeting.

 

5.0 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

 

A copy of the Minutes of the Access Advisory Committee meeting held on 17 April 2012 had previously been forwarded to each member.

RESOLUTION (Grainda / Murray)

 

That the Minutes of the meeting of the Access Advisory Committee held on 17 April 2012 be taken as read and confirmed as a true record of the meeting with the above correction made.

 

6.0 BUSINESS ARISING

6.1 Access and Equity Policy Update

 

Tanya Owen received an email update from Jayne Boardman. The Policy should be going to the Council Meeting on 23 July 2012 or the following Meeting and will probably be reviewed bi-annually. The Policy regularly refers to the Australian Standards, and to the Disability Discrimination Act in the reference documents and policies. The Committee stressed that, as it had advised in an earlier consultation meeting, it would have preferred to have seen Council also articulate that it aims to achieve best practice throughout the principles underlying the Policy. This is particularly because, in the case of disability and Access, the Australian Standards only establish minimum standards that may not be in line with the principles of the Disability Discrimination Act and therefore can still result in limiting access to those with disabilities. The Committee does not believe that inclusion of this means that Council must achieve best practice, but rather seek to achieve it wherever possible.

 

6.2 IDPwD Planning

A planning meeting will be scheduled for July; it will follow the same format as last year with one general meeting, rather than several smaller working meetings. There was a struggle last year with identifying and obtaining performers for the stage for the full four hours. This year, it may be necessary to shorten the time frame for stage performances, and separate into two segments, for instance 10 11:00am and 12 -1:00pm.

 

The possibility of seeking external funding for a screen to show short films was discussed. Screens cost approximately $4,000 a day for hire. The use of sponsorship ads was discussed as a means to help cover costs. John Moxon will make contact with a possible local sponsor for hiring of a large screen for the day.

7.0  GENERAL BUSINESS

7.1 Lennox Bridge Consultation

Two Access Advisory Committee Members were invited to participate in the public consultation on the redevelopment of Lennox Bridge. John Moxon and Leonie Clarke attended on behalf of the Committee. The consultation was originally scheduled upstairs in the Charles Brynes room of Town Hall, which is inaccessible. Upon arrival of John Moxon, it was moved into the Town Hall, however no consideration/ adjustments had been made for people with hearing and visual impairments. It was noted that as a matter of policy, all public consultations should be accessible to those with various disabilities, including physical, hearing and eyesight impairments.

 

John Moxon commented that the design of the proposed portals under the Bridge did appear good from an Access perspective, with good visibility and slope. It was also noted that the planned information regarding the Bridge, to be placed in the vicinity of the Bridge, should also be accessible.

 

ACTION: Tanya Owen will contact the Council Unit that was involved in organising the consultation in conjunction with the consultants, and will pass on the feedback regarding Access.

7.2 NSW Govt Review: Mobility Parking Scheme

The public consultation is on June 20, Peter Simpson will be attending, but Members are encouraged to make private submissions.

 

The new scheme proposes to bring NSW in line with the rest of Australia in terms of mobility parking. It proposes a change in eligibility criteria and a change in conditions of use, eliminating all day free parking in zones over 30 minutes.

 

ACTION: Tanya Owen will send the Committee information on the proposed Scheme.

 

7.3 RailCorp Letter

As of 1 November 2011, there is a new department, Transport for NSW. According to the Media Release (April 2012) from Minister Gladys Berejiklian that announced proposed works, none of the stations identified by the Committee and Council as requiring upgrading of Access are a current priority. If a reply to previous issues raised in a letter to RailCorp, and then forwarded onto Transport for NSW, has not been received by the next meeting of the Committee, the Committee will request that a letter be sent directly to Transport for NSW.

 

ACTION: Tanya Owen will send the Committee a copy of the Media Release.

 

7.4 ParraSync

The ParraSync Card is being trialled by Council Staff and Members of the ParraConnect Committee. It has near field technology and can be used in Wentworth Street Carpark, at the Library, as well as a loyalty card at several local cafes. In future, it will also incorporate the capacity to transfer money to it, and there is a possibility of using it to pay rates.

 

7.5 Keyboards

Beth Collins showed the Committee two (1x Black and White, 1 x Yellow and Black) accessible keyboards purchased from Vision Australia for $35 for the Over 55 Leisure and Learning Centre, per the issues raised at a previous meeting of the Committee. It was noted that as keyboards need to be replaced in the future, these could form the new standard.

 

7.6 Mobility Map

Tanya Owen informed the Committee that she is working on finding out what information and data exists within Council that could inform the development of a mobility map for the Parramatta CBD, and has been in contact with the GIS Unit regarding this.

 

The Committee noted that an accessibility consultant should be used, however there may be budget restraints.

 

8.0 COMMUNICATION IN

Home Power Savings Tanya Owen will send this information to the Committee.

 

 

Note:

The next meeting in August will be the last Committee meeting as the Committee will be disbanded for the Local Government elections on 8 September, 2012. There will be information about the process of disbanding and reapplying at the next meeting.

 

 

NEXT MEETING

21 August 2012 at 5:30pm

Meeting Rooms 1 & 2

Council Chambers Building

 

 

Closed 7.02pm