Item 10.4 - Attachment 1
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee Minutes 26 July 2011
MINUTES OF THE ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING HELD IN THE GROUND FLOOR MEETING ROOMS 1 AND 2, COUNCIL CHAMBER, PARRAMATTA ON TUESDAY, 28 JULY 2011 AT 6.07PM
in the Chair, Donna-Lee Astill, Councillor Paul Barber (retired 7.48pm), Phil
Bradley, Doug Desjardines, Marcia Donovan,
Shalini Kumari (arrived 6.18pm),
1 ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF TRADITIONAL OWNERS THE DHARUG PEOPLE
John Robertson made an Acknowledgement to the Traditional Owners, recognising that the land upon which the meeting was being held is Burramattagal and paid respect to Elders past and present.
The Committee welcomed Kerrie Walshaw to the meeting.
An apology was received and accepted for the absence of Bruce Astill, Bruce Gale, Lyn Leerson, Jay Palmer, Greg Stonham and Doug Wilson.
4 CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
There were no conflicts of interest at this meeting.
5 BURRAMATTA NAIDOC DEBRIEF
Kerrie Walshaw presented to the Committee on the survey undertaken on the Burramatta Family Fun Day. A copy of the survey findings is appended to these minutes as Attachment 1.
Kerrie will present an options paper to a future meeting of the Committee.
A general discussion then ensued on the Day, where issues raised included:-
· Strong need for better promotion next year, particularly by major sponsors and media partners. Better usage of local schools in promotion and advertising (reference also made to a recent letter included in the Parramatta Advertiser from Phil Russo on this issue).
· Need for external funding including involvement of local commerce and state government.
· More activities for children including slippery dip and Koori “Idol” type event.
· Possible display links to Heritage Centre.
· Ensure future event does not clash with any other event.
· Early planning of next year’s event.
· It was noted that the event was handicapped by uncertainty as to whether event would even proceed.
· Need to increase attendance numbers.
1. Shalini Kumari arrived at the meeting at 6.18pm during consideration of this matter.
2. Kerrie Walshaw retired at 7.21pm following consideration of this matter.
6 CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES
A copy of the minutes of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee Meeting held on 26 June 2011 had previously been forwarded to each member.
RECOMMENDATION (Russo /Donovan)
That the minutes of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee Meeting held on 26 June 2011 be taken as a true record of the meeting .
7 REDEVELOPMENT OF
The previous meeting had received advice of the proposed redesign of the core of the Parramatta Heritage Centre to provide more exhibition space.
Heritage Centre staff were now seeking advice on the best way to consult with Aboriginal persons in relation to:-
· What culture may be shared with visitors to the city;
· What ways of sharing information are culturally appropriate ie storytelling, video, images, education programs, tours by Aboriginal persons.
Suggestions included meeting with the Consultant, once appointed, at a future Committee meeting, possibly to be held on site at the Heritage Centre, holding a Gathering Day and writing to relevant Aboriginal organisations.
The matter will again be listed for consideration and for suggestions at the next meeting of the Committee.
8 GENERAL BUSINESS
8.1 Options to Interpret the Nature Trail at the head of
Advice was tabled at the meeting from Michelle Desailly, Project
Officer, Parramatta Stories, indicating that a nature trail is being created
along the river foreshore from the top of
Council’s Heritage Advisory Committee has asked that Council investigate options to interpret the site from a European and Aboriginal perspective.
Accordingly, advice is sought as to:-
· Whether it is culturally appropriate to interpret the site;
· What perspective of culture may be shared/interpreted for visitors to the City;
· Culturally appropriate methods of presenting ie storytelling, signage, images, education programs or tours by Aboriginal persons.
It was noted that the word “Aboriginal” should be capitalised when making reference to Australian Aboriginals. This did not occur on occasions in the information circulated in respect of Items 7 and 8.1.
That Ms Michelle Desailly
be invited to attend the next meeting of the Aboriginal and
8.2 NAIDOC Dinner
Donna Lee-Astill thanked Council for funding the attendance by members at the NAIDOC Dinner.
Mr Robertson noted that Uncle Greg Simms could not carry out the Welcome to Country during NAIDOC Week but had made a fine Welcome, in language, at the NAIDOC Ball.
8.3 Geological Drilling In
John Robertson referred to correspondence circulated to members
from Comber Consultants Pty Ltd advising of geological drilling to be carried
The correspondence requested that Aboriginal people or organisations who hold a cultural knowledge of the area register their interest by Monday 8 August 2011.
That the Committee be registered as an interested party and individual members register their own interest, if desired.
9. INFORMATION SHARE
Linda McDonald will be working 1 day per week at
Councillor P Barber retired from the meeting at 7.48pm during consideration of this matter.
9.2 Building Bridges 2011
Mr Bradley distributed the latest version of the Building Bridges Pamphlet.
Building Bridges is a series of 6 Wednesday evening seminars
commencing on 3 August 2011 in the Jubilee Room,
There may be minor changes to the presenters (Ali Golding may not be available) but it should be noted that Donna-Lee Astill will be speaking. Donna had also arranged for children to perform a Welcome Dance.
Other speakers are welcome.
9.3 Relocation of Prisoners
Mr Desjardines had attended a function recently at which the Attorney General, the Honourable Greg Smith, had been present.
Mr Desjardines commented that it would be useful to invite the Attorney General to attend a future meeting of the Committee to discuss issues associated with prisoners being located well away from their families.
9.4 Koori Day
Donna-Lee Astill advised that a Koori Information Day will be held at Penrith on 9 August 2011.
9.5 John Robertson – Guest Speaker at Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference
Mr Robertson advised that he had accepted an offer to be a guest
speaker at the Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference to be held in
Dubbo from 13 to 15 September 2011 to speak on
Mr Robertson welcomed input to his talk from members of the Committee.
Other members can attend the conference at their own cost or be funded by another organisation. However, it was noted that only the 2 representatives funded by Council would be representatives of this Committee.
Mr Desjardines noted that the commemorative plaque erected at Lake Parramatta Reserve did not contain the name of Committee member, Jay Palmer.
That the name of Jay Palmer
be added to the plaque erected at
Anne Stonham referred to the very sad passing of the daughter of
Phil Byrnes and Konstanze Kwiet, residents of
Anne noted that the couple were community minded persons and
warriors for Aboriginal causes and requested that flowers and a card be sent
expressing the Committee’s condolences. Anne will contact
Phillip Bradley, Annie Nielsen and John Robertson submitted their apologies for their inability to attend the next meeting of the Committee.
The meeting terminated at 8.16pm
Summary of Burramatta NAIDOC Survey and Yarn Tent Discussions
Prepared by Kerrie Walshaw, Consultant
Burramatta Family Day
· 163 people took the survey
· 69% lived in Parramatta local government area
· 65% heard about Burramatta by word of mouth or other means; 6% via council’s website; 17% from street banners and 12% from local newspaper
· Features of day rated as good or very good
o Activities - 95%
o Atmosphere -96%
o Cleanliness of Area -99%
o Entertainment/Performances - 91%
o Facilities - 66% (though 25% responded “Don’t know”)
o Location - 92 %
o Food - 76%
o Parking 34% (46% of attendees travelled by car)
· 52% attending were part of family with children
· Reasons for attending: 22%- activities looked interesting; 28%-am interested in Indigenous Cultural events; 11% - like to attend local events; 10% - I am Aboriginal or TSI
· 52 % had come to a NAIDOC event previously
· 96% said they would attend Burramatta next year
Interested in learning about
Local archeological digs
25 people took part in discussions.
Burramatta day specifics
· Many positive comments
· Sunday is preferred day
· Need more variety in food & drinks
· Needs entertainment other than singing
· Needs more activities for children
· Prince Alfred Park is a better location than Parramatta Park
· Do something along the river
· Most people do not even know what Burramatta means
· Needs better promotion and publicity
· Each year need some high profile person or activity as a draw card
Bush tucker and agriculture
· General interest in bush tucker, Aboriginal food and agriculture practices
Art, Music Dance & theatre
· More focus on art, music & dance especially involving children & youth
· Combine with an exhibition of artifacts, weavings, art etc
Children & Youth
· Art & writing competitions with school children
· Currently no link with schools
· Need more activities for youth
Aboriginal culture and history
· Walking tours around key sites
· Strong interest in finding out more about Aboriginal history & culture- enormous indigenous history in area is not exploited
Story & knowledge
· Want to learn more- would like a tent like this where can ask questions and learn more.- a yarn tent
· Story telling for little ones
Working with other councils & organisations
· Coordinate dates between Parramatta, Holroyd & Blacktown
· More collaboration between councils
· Perhaps more coordination/interaction with other NAIDOC council events- combined activity even