Item 11.4 - Attachment 1
Community Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes 18 March 2010
Mark Egan, Jim Grainda, Jane Ho (arrived 6:50pm), Mlinda Kumar, Phillip Russo, Marivic Manalo and Chris Bertinshaw
There were no apologies received for this meeting.
3. CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATION
There were no declarations made regarding conflict of interest at this meeting.
4. Confirmation of Minutes
A copy of the Minutes of the Community Advisory Committee meeting held on 2 February 2010 had previously been forwarded to each member.
RESOLUTION (Chris Bertinshaw / Phillip Russo)
That the Minutes of the meeting of the Community Advisory Committee held on 2 February 2010 be taken as read and confirmed.
5. Business Arising
5.1 Next Neighbourhood forum.
There are two types of forums the LGA forums and the neighbourhood forums.
The neighbourhood forums will be tailored to issues in each specific area. Community Place Officers can present information on the particular community including demographics and identified issues and then community members can express and discuss what they think the core issues / other issues are for their community.
The Committee will be responsible for chairing the forum, listening to the community and feeding that back to Council by way of a bi-monthly report to be written by Council Officers. The Committee can also use the forums to help educate the community in regard to the correct way of addressing concerns and issues.
The committee discussed where the next neighbourhood forum will be held and raised the following ideas:-
· Granville used to hold ‘precinct’ meetings and currently has a topical issue regarding development
· Telopea has problems with public housing
· Wentworthville an area where there appear to be few controversial/ politically sensitive issues at the moment
· Neglected areas that we don’t hear a great deal about or from in comparison to other areas, such as Wentworthville.
· Areas with perceived high crime rate
· Community Place Development Officers can attend or brief Maggie Kyle and/or Tanya Owen, who in turn can brief the forum regarding the profile of the area and perceived issues
· Chris Bertinshaw expressed concern that there are groups that are not being heard, and that the committee should not focus on one particular issue.
The committee agreed to hold a Committee meeting to decide on an area and discuss further details on 28 April 2010 at 6pm in Meeting Room B Level 2 Council Chambers Building.
6. Process/ Preparation for the first Community Forum
6.1 Running the event
· Acknowledgement of country
· Welcome / housekeeping –
· Emphasise that concerns identified will be incorporated into Council report
· Members of the Community Advisory Committee are not party of Council and are only the conduit for feeding back to Council.
· Presenters will have approximately 20 minutes including any questions from the public.
· The Service Manager for Libraries,
· Project Officer, Land Use and Transport Planning,
· The Manager, Land Use and Transport Planning,
· There will be time for general questions after all the presentations.
6.2 Other issues
The committee questioned if they would be able submit
recommendations to Council and
The Committee discussed establishing an email address.
Phillip Russo expressed concern that Councillors may see this as the Committee
taking over their roles and sending an incorrect message to the public about
going to the Committee when they can go straight to a Councillor.
Note: Jane Ho arrived at 6:50pm during consideration of this matter.
6pm, Wednesday 28 April 2010
Meeting room B
The meeting concluded at 6:55 pm