Item 7.1 - Attachment 1
Previous Council Report
ITEM NUMBER 9.5
SUBJECT Securing SuperX Opportunity 2010 to 2012
REFERENCE F2009/01568 - D01507639
To seek approval from Council to help to secure the SuperX Australasian Championship events for 2010, 2011, and 2012.
(a) That Council consider the business case for the attached proposal to help secure a three-year event and to maximise the promotional opportunities associated with the Supercross event to be held at Parramatta Stadium in 2010, 2011, and 2012.
(b) Further, that Council agree to sponsor the 2010 event with an option for commitment through to 2012, dependent upon an assessment of economic value be undertaken post the event, planning approval be secured for future events, and that the Special Rate continuation be agreed to by the Minister for Local Government.
1. SuperX is planning to host one of its Australasian competitions in Parramatta on 27 November, 2010, with an expected visitation to Parramatta of 10,000 people.
2. Planning approval for this event was granted to Parramatta
Stadium in 2008 by the NSW Planning Minister and is valid until 7 October 2011.
This will mean that any commitment by Council is dependent upon further
approval being secured.
3. SuperX was held
4. Over half a million television viewers watch the event via
Foxsports, Fuel TV and Network Ten in
5. A number of Councillors have raised their concerns about the local restaurant, café and accommodation sectors which have been experiencing a downturn in their businesses in the current economic climate. This event did have, and will have a positive direct and ongoing economic impact on these sectors.
6. An analysis undertaken by SuperX (ATTACHMENT 1) estimates the economic impact of the 2009 event totalled nearly $1.4 Million. This is slightly higher than what the Economic Development Team estimated in June 2009 - $1.1 Million - when it sought approval from Council.
7. Actual validation for this positive impact comes from feedback
from two of
8. Media Monitors notes an advertising value for the Parramatta
SuperX event at $344,000. This does not include overseas exposure which was
secured through Sky and other international channels.
9. Further direct and ongoing positive economic impact will be
achieved due to the broader coverage
10. The Economic Development Team will undertake a post-event
assessment of economic impact and report back to Council on its findings.
11. In addition, the Lord Mayor will have the opportunity to invite
special guests to the event through the corporate box. This would offer an
excellent opportunity to engage with business leaders to discuss current issues
12. There was some opposition raised in 2008, particularly concerning noise. In response to this, it should be noted that as this is a night event it will not conflict with day activities of the park and will only present a small inconvenience, if any, to residents within earshot. Council is not aware of any complaints arising from the Supercross event which was held in 2008 or 2009.
13. Support of this proposal commits to an expenditure of $75k over 3 years but this will be contingent upon Council securing an ongoing Economic Development Special Rate.
14. Some of the sponsorship options require some further expenditure e.g. catering, sign production. We will seek to keep these expenses below $5k.
Manager Economic Development
Manager Communications and Marketing
Manager Culture Tourism and Recreation
Economic Impact of 2009 SuperX
Summary Sponsorship Benefits
Letter of Support from the Director of
Previous Council Report
Sponsorship Benefits to
for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 Super X Series
Sponsorship Benefits - Summary
Use of Series Logo
Branding / Signage
Marketing and Promotion
In-program Television Exposure
Parramatta City Council has the right to use the following official designations:
Host Destination of Super X
Official Sponsor of Super X
Any other such designations as agreed by both parties.
Use of Series Logo
Parramatta City Council will also have the right to Monster Energy Super X composite logo.
Council will receive a dominant signage package at the
Feathers / Flags
Marketing and Promotion
Parramatta City Council would receive logo recognition on $150,000 worth of promotion and marketing including:
In Program Television Exposure
Council will receive significant exposure within the actual telecast over and
above the signage that will be positioned to receive maximum exposure.
Broadcast 30 to 60 second tourism postcard to be shown during the live and highlights broadcast featuring Parramatta and associated benefits of the State (footage and script to be supplied by Parramatta City Council).
Commentators will also speak favourably about Parramatta as a tourist destination throughout the telecast and talk about the features of the city (script to be supplied by Parramatta City Council).
Parramatta City Council logo at the end of the telecast that is depicted on the following page.
Parramatta City Council will receive the following association:
The official Super X program:
One (1) full page colour advertisement.
Logo and Parramatta City Councils website address on the sponsors page.
Big Screen Exposure
Parramatta City Council will receive the following exposure at all seven rounds including:
Two (2) x thirty (30) second advertisements (ads to be supplied by the Sponsor).
A major component of our marketing strategy will be centered on the Super X website as a mechanism to inform the fans about every aspect of the series and the address will be heavily promoted throughout our marketing campaign (all artwork to be supplied by the Sponsor):
Parramatta City Council will receive the following website benefits:
Banner advertising on a rotational basis.
Logo identification associated with the rounds track map.
Logo identification on the sponsors page with link to Parramatta City Council site.
Opportunity to cross promote other events that are taking place at Parramatta.
Council will receive 20 Gold tickets for the
Parramatta City Council will receive the following hospitality:
1 x Corporate Suite for 18 people in the Ken Thornett Stand. (excluding Food & Beverage).
1 x VIP Cark Park Pass
Supercross Australasia Pty Ltd is committed to the success of the sponsorship program and will work with Parramatta City Council to maximise every possible commercial opportunity.
The total cost of the Sponsorship Package as detailed on the previous pages is:
2010 $20,000 + GST
2011 $25,000 + GST
2012 $30,000 + GST
Note: Signage either to be supplied by the Sponsor or if production is required production costs are to be borne by the Sponsor.