Item 12.3 - Attachment 1
Access Advisory Committee Meeting 5 August 2008
John Moxon ,
Hatice Vural , Beth Collins – Team Leader, Home Support and Community Care
the and Donna Mosford – .
John mentioned to the committee that George Mannix’s replacement as Community Capacity Building Officer – Chris McAlpine, is unable to attend Tuesday night Advisory Committee meetings for the time being due to other commitments, however he is still available to support the Committee through activities and projects.
RESOLUTION (John Moxon/Debbie Manual)
That John Raymond’s name is formally removed from the Access Advisory Committee Members List.
Debbie Manual/Barbara Jones)
meeting on 3 June 2008with the following change to Item 8.1 regarding Bus Routes. Paragraph 2, point 3 to read as follows:-
Bus stop proximity to increase to 400 metres on weekdays and 800 metres on weekends and weeknights after 7.00pm.
5 CARPET AT
Hatice Vural has received advice from Northcott Disability Services regarding the carpet on the third and fourth floors at Parramatta Westfield’s Shopping Centre. The advice states that the carpet is unsatisfactory and very difficult for people in manual wheelchairs.
The committee agreed with this advice and also stated that the carpet is also unsatisfactory for people with walking frames, prams and trolleys.
RESOLUTION (Peter Simpson/John Moxon)
(a) That the committee write to Westfield’s Shopping Centre and Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC) advising that the carpet at Parramatta Westfield’s Shopping Centre is unsatisfactory and not to Australian Standards.
(b) Further, that a draft version of the letter be forwarded via email to committee members for their approval/additions before being sent.
discussion of Item 5.1 at the previous Access Advisory Committee meeting, the
committee raised an issue concerning the removal of Disabled parking spots
outside the Blood Bank on
Council has received advice that the Police have requested a clearway at that location for an on going court case taking place in Justice Precinct. The clearway is only temporary and the disabled parking spots have yet to be relocated.
committee stated that the three spots allocated for Taxi pick ups in
RESOLUTION (Peter Simpson/Jim Grainda)
7. YOU’RE WELCOME PROJECT
Moxon, Barbara Jones and Leone Clark joined John Evernden at Dundas Railway
Station last week to look at Accessibility Issues for John Evernden’s Access
Audit. John Moxon mentioned that on
discussions on this matter, the Committee agreed to ask John Evernden if they could
include Camellia and Rydalmere Railway Stations in the Access Audit as these
Stations could be worse then
John Moxon to ask John Evernden to include Camellia and Rydalmere Railway Stations in the Access Audit.
8.1 Access Advisory Committee Recommendations to Council
Hatice Vural advised the committee members that Council approved the following four recommendations that came from the Access Advisory Committee:-
(a) That Council undertake a bus stop audit to assess accessibility works required to comply with the legislation in the 2009/10 financial year;
(b) That Council distribute a copy of the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC)’s publication ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly’ DVD to individuals, organisations and companies on Council’s Development Database and to the public at Council’s Development Assessment Service Desk;
(c) That Council relocate the after-hours bell at the rear entrance to Council Chambers to meet the requirements of the Australian Standard 1428;
(d) Further, that Council install hearing augmentation systems in the Town Hall in order to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (NSW).
These recommendations have now been sent to the appropriate Council Officers and are currently being actioned.
During discussions on this matter, the committee enquired about the status of the proposed modifications to make the Council Chambers room more accessible.
Donna Mosford to ask Council Support Manager – Graeme Riddell for an update on the proposed modifications to the Council Chambers.
8.2 International Day of People with a Disability (I.D.P.W.D)
John Moxon gave the committee an update from the last IDPWD Sub-Committee Meeting:-
· Donna Mosford will be contacting Australian International Performing Arts School in Harris Park about performing at the day.
· Northcott Disability Services are interested in coming to Parramatta Mall instead of holding a separate event at their Parramatta Location.
· Other disability organisations to be approached to see if the would like to be in involved in IDPWD.
· Sub-committee to approach a Corporate Agency to do a free BBQ
· Looking at incorporating in to IDPWD, the screening of accessibility related Film at Riverside Theatres.
· Exploring the possibility of a Disabled Theatre Group performing at Riverside Theatres on IDPWD.
· Next Sub-Committee Meeting – Tuesday, 19 August 2008
8.3 Items to be discuss at next Access Advisory Committee Meetings
During General Business the committee members raised the following topics which they would like on the agenda at the next Access Advisory Committee meeting:-
· Change of commencement time for Access Advisory Committee meetings
· Invitation for Councillors to attend Access Advisory Committee meetings
· Invitation for planning staff members to attend Access Advisory Committee meetings
· List of complaints from Council’s Customer Request System regarding accessibility issues to be supplied at each meeting so committee members are aware of what is happening in the community.
8.4 Bus Stop South
The committee was previously advised that Richard Searle had indicated that the bus stop which is currently south of the Lennox Bridge will be moved to either the north side of the bridge, or onto the bridge itself, to improve the line of sight of bus drivers to the stop.
Leone Clark stated that the Bus Stop has not been relocated and school children are still running out on to the road to see if a bus is approaching.
Donna Mosford to ask Richard Searle why the relocation of this Bus Stop has not proceeded as yet.
Drop-off Zone in Front of
Peter Simpson advised the committee
that the 4 disabled spots in front of
The Committee did not recommend whether any further action was required regarding this matter.
8.6 Thank You
As this is the last Access Advisory
Committee meeting before the Local Government Elections on
7 October - TBC
Moxon in the Chair, Debbie Manuel, Jim Grainda, Peter Simpson, and Phillip
Cornwall (from 5:44pm) IN
ATTENDANCE Donna Mosford – Community Capacity Building Officer, George Mannix – C ommunity
Place Development Officer, Beth Collins – Team Leader, Home Support and
Community Services and Erin Lottey – Minutes Clerk. 1. WELCOME The
Chairperson, John Moxon, welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked them for
attending. 2. APOLOGIES An
apology was received and accepted for the absence of
Barbara Jones. It was noted that David Powell is on an extended
leave of absence. RECOMMENDATION
(Debbie Manuel / Jim Grainda) That the committee accept the apology put forward
by Barbara Jones 3. CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATION There
were no declarations made regarding conflict of interest at this meeting. 4. MINUTES A copy of
the report of the Minutes of the Access Advisory Committee held 2 October 2007
had previously been forwarded to each member. RECOMMENDATION
(Peter Simpson / Debbie Manuel) That the Minutes of the meeting of the Access
Advisory Committee held 2 October 2007 be taken as
read and confirmed as a true record of the meeting. 5. ACCESS COMMITTEE REPRESENTATION AT PARRAMATTA
TRAFFIC COMMITTEE (PTC) 5.1 PTC
Mosford advised that she had spoken to Council’s Traffic and Transport Service
Manager, Richard Searle, regarding the report he is preparing. The report is expected to be put to the next
meeting of the Parramatta Traffic Committee in February 2008. Information collected at a meeting between
Richard, John Moxon and George Mannix on 18 October 07 would also be presented
at that meeting. 5.2 Investigation into access provisions at
Railway Stations within the Parramatta Local Government Area Donna
advised that Richard Searle is undertaking an investigation into provisions for
accessible parking at railway stations within the Parramatta Local Government
Area. Richard has agreed that feedback
about railway stations with inadequate access provisions would be considered
for works. Feedback from committee
members included: þ The ramps at the north side of Granville railway
station þ Kerb ramps at Westmead railway station þ Accessible car parking spaces at Westmead railway
station do not conform, the roll top kerbing is located to the rear of the
space making it very difficult to get from the car to the footpath. þ Epping station lacks accessible parking; the
nearest is located at Coles or at the library, and there is no accessible path
of travel from the station to these spaces John
Moxon suggested that a visit to the various railway stations may assist the
committee in providing more detailed feedback. ACTION : Peter
Simpson and John Moxon will conduct an inspection of the various railway
stations within the Parramatta Local Government Area, and report their findings
to Richard Searle 5.3 Accessible
Bus stops The
committee discussed the speech given by Graeme Innes, the Commissioner of the
Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, at Parramatta Council’s
International Day of People with a Disability celebrations. The speech highlighted the requirement that
25% of all bus stops within the local government area meet the standards set in
the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (NSW) by the end of 2007. The committee agreed that an audit of
existing bus stops is required to determine the level of compliance within the
Parramatta Local Government Area RECOMMENDATION: (Jim
Grainda / Peter Simpson) The Committee recommends that Council resolve to
direct Council to audit all bus stops in the Parramatta Local Government Area
to determine how many meet the requirements of the Accessible Transport
Standard within the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (NSW) 6.
PARKING INFRINGEMENT ISSUE The committee was advised that Richard Searle had
indicated that the 3 accessible parking spaces in Civic Place (which are
currently designated ½ hour parking until 6pm and 4 hours parking thereafter)
are going to have the time limit removed. George Mannix indicated that to his
knowledge only the Civic Place accessible parking spaces would have the time
limit lifted. George also advised the committee that Council Rangers have
recently been conducting a ‘blitz’ on the misuse of accessible parking. RECOMMENDATION : (Debbie
Manuel / Jim Grainda) The
committee commends the Council for its crackdown on the misuse of mobility
parking authorities and the unlawful use of designated accessible parking bays. 7.
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF PEOPLE WITH A DISABILITY (IDPWD) John Moxon commended the staff involved in
organising the day, George Mannix, Donna Mosford, Maia Giordano and Zoe Spiteri
and thanked the members of the organising sub-committee, Barbara, Peter and
Debbie, for their hard work during the year. The committee suggested ways of improving the day
for 2008, and identified specific issues which require addressing. The suggestions and issues included: 7.1 Art Competition and Engagement of Local
Schools Issues 8 Inadequate
number of entries in art competition at the secondary school level 7 Getting
engagement from secondary schools early enough in the year. Suggestions · Changing
the art competition, possibly having a poetry competition instead · Pinpointing
the relevant staff at local schools earlier in the year to ensure that there is
a contact at the school · Providing
more guidance as to what the day is about, such as a one or two page outline to
provide to schools · Preparation
of a photo montage to include in any outline · Forming
the subcommittee earlier to identify potential improvements and funding
opportunities. ACTION: A
subcommittee be formed and the first meeting be scheduled for late January or
early February 2008. 7.2 Marketing of the Day · Marketing
needs to be improved, more publicity required in the lead up to the day. · A printed
programme / flyer handout detailing the activities and events could be prepared
and handed out in the mall · External
activities should be signposted · Use of a
PA system to commentate sporting events, Richie Benaud style spruiker etc. 7.3 The Function Itself Issues · Acoustics
in the town hall aren’t good · Getting
the function started on time · Getting
school attendance Suggestions o Timing
was better than last year o Graeme
Innes was an excellent drawcard o Representatives
from other Council departments be invited to join the working party to ensure
coordination of activities across Council o Perhaps another
school group doing street theatre o Scouts
involvement o One hour
is long enough for the function o Perhaps
hold the formal proceedings outdoors, with the town hall as a fall back should
the weather require it o Get a
Federal Minister to attend, for example Bill Shorten o Have well
known speakers to attract attendees 7.4 “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly DVD” Commissioner of the Human Rights and Equal
Opportunity Commission, Graeme Innes, referred to a DVD titled “The Good, the
Bad and the Ugly” in his speech. The DVD relates to access considerations
within development. The Committee noted
that one local government area is giving a copy of this DVD to every DA. The committee further noted that this would
increase awareness around accessibility issues within the Development
Application team. RECOMMENDATION : (Peter
Simpson / Jim Grainda) The
committee recommends that the Council make a determination that Parramatta City
Council follows other Councils by distributing a copy of the Human Rights and
Equal Opportunity Commission’s DVD, The
Good, the Bad and the Ugly, to all Development applicants. 8.
GENERAL BUSINESS 8.1 Pedestrian Access & Mobility Plan (PAMP) The committee was advised that the Traffic and
Transport Service Manager, Richard Searle, had asked for the locations of
crossings that are non compliant. John
Moxon suggested that some photographs of the crossings should be taken, and a
report provided stating which crossings do not comply. John suggested that this exercise could be
done at the same time as the railway station visits. ACTION : Peter
Simpson and John Moxon will visit locations if time permits prior to the next
Access Committee meeting. 8.2 Bus Stop Relocation The committee was advised that Richard Searle had
indicated that the bus stop which is currently south of the Lennox Bridge will
be moved to either the north side of the bridge, or onto the bridge itself, to
improve the line of sight of bus drivers to the stop. 8.3 Ramp Accessibility Issues – Cumberland
Highway and Wentworth Road Phillip Cornwall tabled a letter indicating
problems with the footpath ramps at the Cumberland Highway and Wentworth Road
intersection. The problems with the ramps have left Phillip dangerously stuck
on the road in front of approaching traffic. ACTION : A
service request will be raised with Council about this safety concern and Donna
Mosford will contact the relevant Council Officer to reiterate the urgent
nature of Philip’s request. 8.4 Courtesy Call to John Raymond Debbie Manuel requested that a courtesy call be
made to John Raymond to check if he is alright, given that he has not attended
any committee meetings this year. It was
further suggested that a call be made to David Powell to enquire as to the health
of his wife. ACTION: Donna
Mosford will make a courtesy call to John Raymond and David Powell. 8.5 Movement of the Intercom / Bell to obtain
access to the Council Chambers Building The
committee noted the ongoing issue of the height and accessibility of the
intercom and buzzer system used to facilitate access to the Council Chambers
Building after business hours. RECOMMENDATION : (Peter
Simpson / Debbie Manuel) The committee recommends that Council resolve to
have the after-hours bell at the rear entrance to the Council Chambers building
relocated to meet the requirements of Australian Standard 1428. i.e. Between
900mm and 1100 mm from the ground and no closer than 500mm to an internal
Hearing Loops in the Town Hall The
committee noted the lack of provision within the Town Hall for persons with
hearing loss. RECOMMENDATION : (Debbie
Manuel / Jim Grainda) The committee recommends that Council take action
to install hearing augmentation systems in the Town Hall in order to comply
with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, so that people with hearing loss
can engage in functions held at the Town Hall. NEXT MEETINGS International Day of People with Disability 2008 Working Party Sub Committee Meeting To Be Confirmed – Late January / Early February
2008 Access Advisory Committee Meeting Tuesday, 5 February 2008, 5:30pm Ground Floor Meeting Room 3 Council Chambers Building Civic Place, Parramatta The meeting concluded at 6:58pm ACCESS ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING DATES FOR 2008 Tuesday,
5th February 2008 Tuesday,
1st April 2008 Tuesday,
3rd June 2008 Tuesday,
5th August 2008 Tuesday,
7th October 2008 Tuesday,
2nd December 2008