Item 14.1 - Attachment 1
Minutes Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee Minutes 24th June 2008
MINUTES OF THE ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING HELD IN ROOM 1, GROUND FLOOR, COUNCIL CHAMBERS, PARRAMATTA ON TUESDAY 24th June 2008 AT 6.10 PM.
John Robertson (in the Chair), June McGrath, Marcia Donovan, Annie Nielsen, Phil Russo, Anne Castles, Lyn Leerson, Doug Desjardines
Maggie Kyle – Community Capacity Building Officer and Elise Mawhood – Minute taker, Stephan Jaeggi (arrived at 19.20 and departed at 19.47).
1 ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF TRADITIONAL OWNERS THE DHARUG PEOPLE
John Robertson did an Acknowledgment of Country recognising that the land upon which the meeting was being held is Dharug and paying respect to Elders past and present.
2 WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS
John Robertson welcomed members and PCC staff to the meeting.
3 CHAIRPERSON’S REMINDER REGARDING MEETING PROTOCOLS
The Chairperson reminded Members of Meeting protocol.
Apologies were received and accepted for the absence of Bruce Gale, Gilson Saunders, Linda McDonald, Phillip Bradley, Peter Farrugia (Civic Events and Protocol Officer), Ann Stonham, Greg Stonham, Clr Paul Barber, Clr Maureen Walsh and Council Officer Tanya Bigeni.
5 CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
No conflicts of interest noted.
6 CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES
A copy of
the minutes of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee
Meeting held on
The following amendments to the minutes were noted:
Minute 11.3 The correct spelling of Annie Neilsen was noted.
Minute 11.5 Doug Desjardine had referred to a discussion he had heard on 2UE regarding ‘A suburb without men’. Maggie Kyle had referred to the Australian newspaper article on the same issue.
The minutes of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee Meeting held on 27th May 2008 be taken as a true record of the meeting.
7 BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING 27th MAY 2008
There was no Business Arising.
8 NAIDOC 2008 DECISIONS AND ACTIONS
8.1 Members discussed the current status of NAIDOC events and sought further information on the following. As Tanya Bigeni was not present there were a number of questions regarding NAIDOC which could not be answered. Maggie Kyle and Tanya Bigeni will prepare a written response and send this out to members. Should members find this inadequate they will advise Maggie Kyle and she will set up a final planning meeting with the Committee, Tanya Bigeni and herself. Further information was required on the following:
(a) Will Flynn Donovan play at the NAIDOC events?
(b) Will the Commander, HMAS Parramatta attend the NAIDOC Flag Raising and the NAIDOC Family Day?
(c) Will Uncle Greg be able to book a stall even though applications have closed?. Western Sydney reconciliation offered to share their stall with Uncle Greg if it was too late to secure one for him.
(d) Ray Wehbe had not booked a stall. Would he be able set up a BBQ and provide free continental sausages?
(e) Did Members of Council’s Cycle ways Committee agree to run a workshop on Bicycle Repairs at the Family Picnic Day?
(f) Is the Fire Brigade attending the Family Picnic Day?
8.2 Members agreed that they would arrive at on Sunday 6th July to assist in setting up the event. Council officers will arrive at . Maggie Kyle provided a business card for all Members should they need to contact her on the day.
8.3 Ann Stonham will confirm with Tanya Bigeni whether she has secured a Fairy Floss machine. It was also noted that Greg Stonham will be responsible for operating the machine.
8.4 John Robertson advised that Council’s website has an incorrect
address for the Family Picnic and it was also noted that the sign on Church and
8.5 Phil Russo agreed to letter box drop Westmead side of
8.6 Maggie Kyle reported that she had contacted Parramatta Correctional
Facility regarding the NAIDOC BBQ for inmates and they were holding a large
Doug Desjardines requested that Maggie Kyle forward Committee Members the security check forms that the prison required as soon as possible.
8.7 Maggie Kyle will forward invitations to the NAIDOC Flag Raising to Wayne and Dot Parker as requested by John Robertson. Their Address was noted but withheld from these minutes due to privacy.
8.8 Maggie Kyle requested that Members bring Aboriginal flags to hang on the back of the stage as last year’s backdrop was the personal property of Sue Pinkham and was therefore no longer available.
Tanya Begini and Maggie Kyle will prepare and distribute a written update on final details regarding the NAIDOC events. If Members feel they require further detail or there are problems with any aspect of the events, Maggie Kyle will organise a final planning meeting.
That Council Officers will prepare certificates for all contributors, which will be presented during the Family Picnic Day.
9 GENERAL BUSINESS AND INFORMATION SHARING
9.1 Social Enterprise Information Forum
Maggie Kyle reported that Joanne McNeill, Council Officer responsible for the Social Enterprise Grants, was willing to organise an information forum for ATSI community members. Committee members suggested the forum be held in August to enable people to apply for the 2009 Grants round which will open in September. Maggie Kyle will consult with Jo McNeill and report back to members at the next meeting.
It was noted that there is a NSW Government Department which supports Aboriginal Small Businesses. Maggie Kyle will seek further information and report back to the Committee.
That the ATSI committee host a Social
9.2 Doug Desjardines asked that the Agenda Item Public Schools in the Parramatta LGA, policy and practice regarding flying the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flags be moved to the next agenda so that Phil Bradley is present. Members agreed to this proposal.
9.3 The role of Aboriginal Support & Planning Unit, Corrective Services was outlined by Doug Desjardines. The Aboriginal Network Officer at Long Bay Facility had provided excellent help in dealing with problems experienced by an inmate. Doug Desjardines congratulated them on their professionalism and recommended any other Aboriginal person experiencing problems in other correctional facilities by referred to Ronald Timberey, Aboriginal Support and Planning Unit DCS – 92892676.
That Council write to Kevin Rudd asking him to support the UN recommendation regarding the Declaration on the Rights of Aboriginal People and noting that the Canadian Government has recently apologised to Indigenous peoples and had agreed to compensate them.
The Committee requested this report goes up for the July 2008 Council Meeting.
9.4 Phil Bradley, through Anne
Nielson, tabled a media release from ANTaR regarding compensation for the
stolen generation and an article ‘The intervention we had to have’ from the
Sydney Morning Herald dated
June McGrath informed the committee that the NSW Sorry Day Committee takes exception to the Journey of Healing, feeling that this is watering down the extent of the injustices done to Aboriginal people. Members requested June McGrath arrange for someone from the NSW Sorry Day Committee to come and talk to the ATSI Committee regarding this issue.
9.5 June McGrath provided
information about her conversations with the Canadian Aboriginal Curators
delegation who were in
9.6 Lyn Leerson tabled a flyer on the Building Bridges Program taking place during August/September 2008. Maggie Kyle will refer the program to Shanene Hogg for her information.
9.7 Stephan Jaeggi provided an update on the naming of the reserves. Stephan Jaeggi has put the issue on the DEPAC agenda and they will update Stephan Jaeggi in due course. He will then update the ATSI Advisory Committee.
That a detailed report be prepared
by the relevant Council Officers on Aboriginal artefacts found in the
That the new Civic Place development should include an appropriate storage and exhibition space for Aboriginal artefacts according to appropriate guidelines.
9.8 Lyn Leerson tabled a flyer on the Western Sydney NAIDOC dinner dance for 12th July to be held at St Mary’s Leagues Club. The costs are $40.00 per person. Lyn Leerson also agreed to co-ordinate a table should any members care to attend.
9.9 Maggie Kyle will arrange for a card to be sent to Ann Stonham on behalf of the ATSI Advisory Committee members.
ATSI Advisory Executive Meeting
Ground Floor Council Chambers,
ATSI Advisory Committee Meeting
Room 1, Ground Floor Council Chambers, Parramatta
The Meeting concluded at 8.05pm